Mobile phone utilization is widespread. According to the estimated data as of 2011, almost 5 billion numbers of people use mobile phones all over the world. Expect that this number had doubled as of today. As technology innovates, mobile phones progressively and never stops providing new unique functionality and services to users. This device have provided countless of benefits to people; aside from easy and convenient communication, this allow people to browse the internet, share photos and videos, find a job, shop and a lot more.
However, there are some medical researchers who have exposed that mobile phones can affect its users’ health. They conducted detailed study to know any allied health risks (light or severe) that could cause considerable health problems to the public.
Understanding the Health Risks – is there any basis?
These mobile phones do communicate with base-station utilizing RF or Radiofrequency Radiation. Once the RF Radiation appears to be high than standard, it carries along a thermal effect –which means that it able to raise the body temperature of the user. While other health concerns are caused by low RF radiation level that causes brain tumors or extreme headaches. Based on the intensive international study, there is no convincing or any conclusive evidence found that can provide that mobile phones can able to damage or affect users’ health in short or longer term basis. But, last May 2011; WHO have classified that RF radiation is "probable carcinogenic to humans" due to increasing glioma risk, a well known type of "brain cancer". This statement by WHO have prompted countless of people to take precautionary approach to usage of mobile phones. Until now, research is still ongoing.
RF Radiation – In Relation To Mobile Phone Utilization
Radiation is a mixture of magnetic and electrical energy which travels throughout space at a speed of light were in some refers this as an EMR or Electromagnetic Radiation. There two broad groups classification of radiation, check out below:
- IR or Ionising radiation: This is capable of creating great changes in molecules or atoms in the body which results to damaged tissues like cancer. IR example includes Gamma Rays and X-Rays.
- NIR or Non-Ionising Radiation: Thos does not cause any changes in the body but this can prompt the molecules to vibrate which leads to raised body temperature and other health related effects. NIR example includes the sunlight ultraviolet radiation, light bulb, visible lights, radiofrequency energy, microwave energy and infrared radiation.
How does this mobile system works?
According to a research, the system of mobile phones works similarly to a two way radio and includes individual base station and handset. These base-station antennae are being mounted in high area off the ground such as roof or tower to get widest coverage possible, while mobile phones embraces transmitter and radio receiver. Once you perform a call, the phone will utilize RF radiation through their antennae to communicate with a nearby base-station.
When the said base-station receives your signal, the call will be directed to phone landline system.
The mobile phones base-station emits relatively unvarying RF radiation levels, while the handset emits RF radiation level that varies base on three things such as:
- Length of time the phone is used.
- Closeness of the phone to your body during the call.
- Closeness of the base-station to the user. Once the base-station link is weak, the handset will increase the radiation level for it to compensate. RF radiation level from handset to which the body is being exposed is around 100-1,000 times more extreme compared to base-station exposure.
Mobile Phones Health Related Research Conducted
There are countless studies conducted in various parts of the world about "RF radiation" and its effect on its user’s body. You have to understand the there’s a vast difference among biological effect (effect on the body) and health effect. For an instance, mobile phones RF radiation holds a biological effect which happens to be the raising of the body temperature in certain localized part of the brain by certain degree fraction. The said biological effect does not instantly carry any health related risks. Human’s body is highly equipped in dealing with wide range of variation in temperature with no experienced harm.
Mobile Phone Utilization Linked to Cancer
Since RF Radiation is known to a form of a non ionizing radiation, this cannot certainly cause cancer. This information will eventually kill all data that connects cancer to mobile phone utilization. Now, you do not have to worry about any occurs of cancer that might be the cause of your fondness to mobile phones. Remember that there is no known biological reason that can prove RF radiation to be carcinogenic.
Other Possible Health Related Effects
Even if research about mobiles phones causing health problems are not yet done, there are no noted harmful negative health implications being found yet. However, mobile phone utilization holds indirect health effects which include:
RF radiation can possibly interfere with other medical electronic devices once the said equipment happens to be vulnerable to the said field. Your mobile phone handset must be turned-off in hospital establishments.
According to a report, the increase in the number of auto accidents these days is due to mobile utilization while driving. There are noisy advertisements that promotes “No Mobile Phone while Driving” being distributed globally to prevent and lessen the rate of accidents. In Australia, driving while talking on hand held mobile phones is illegal.
What are the precautionary approaches you can do to lessen exposure to radiation when using mobile phone?
- Choose mobile phone model which holds low SAR or Specific Absorption Rate, this refers to the number of "RF Radiation" absorbed by the body tissues.
- If landline is available, it’s best to use it that your phone.
- As much as possible, it’s best to keep mobile phone time of calls to be short.
- Utilize hands free especially when driving.
- Do not carry mobile phone closely to your body once switched on.
- Be aware of the shields and protective devices which lessen the RF radiation. Even if there is no proven evidence that the said products works, you can still utilize it to minimize exposure even for a bit.